Nora Tyson to Command US Third Fleet
It was a great privilege and honor to attend my friend Vice Admiral Nora Tyson’s Change of Command Ceremony aboard the USS Ronald Reagan last month.
The ceremony was extra special because it was also a Retirement Ceremony for Vice Admiral Kenny (“Pink”) Floyd. (See the article in The San Diego Union-Tribune for complete coverage of the event.)
A dozen or so girlfriends (and family members) from Nora’s Vanderbilt days traveled to San Diego where we stayed at the Navy Lodge (beach front!) on the Naval Air Station, North Island.
(For more about Nora (VU ’79) , see the cover story of the Vanderbilt Magazine Fall 2010.)
A beautiful ceremony under sunny San Diego skies.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- Arrival of Official Party and Distinguished Guest
- Parading of the Colors USS Ronald Reagan Color Guard
- National Anthem Navy Band Southwest
- Invocation Captain Terry Gordon
- Introduction of Guest Speaker Vice Admiral Kenny Floyd
- Guest Speaker Remarks Admiral Scott H. Swift
- Presentation of Award Admiral Scott H. Swift (Admiral Swift also recognized Admiral Floyd’s wife, Debbie, a former Navy nurse.)
- Remarks and Reading of the Orders Vice Admiral Kenny Floyd
- Change of Command
- Reading of the Orders and Remarks Vice Admiral Nora Tyson
- Flag Ceremony accompanied by a reading of “Old Glory” (I had never seen a Flag Ceremony; so moving)
- Benediction Captain Terry Gordon
By the end of the day, I was exhausted, but Nora was still poised, professional and partying at 10 PM! I guess she has experienced tougher days!